Penang acts to
revive 17 projects
The Star By Manjit Kaur
The Penang State Government will help to
coordinate efforts to revive 17 abandoned low-cost housing projects
in the state.
State Housing, Culture, Arts and Heritage Committee chairman Syed
Ameruddin Syed Ahmad said would get the assistance of Syarikat
Perumahan Negara Bhd (SPNB) and private developers.
Ten of the abandoned projects are on the mainland while the rest are
on the island. These projects have been stalled for between
five-and-half-years to over 10 years.
Syed Ameruddin said four of the abandoned projects were already in
the process of being revived.
A private developer would be assigned to revive Taman Pekatra, while
the other three would be taken over by SPNB.
Syed Ameruddin was speaking to reporters after visiting five
abandoned projects in South and North Seberang Prai yesterday.
With him were Sungai Acheh assemblyman Mohd Foat Mat Isa, State
Insolvency director N.Dharmasegaran and district officers.
It was reported on May 22 that SPNB was trying to revive some 97
abandoned housing schemes affecting 32,460 families. Some projects
had been stalled for over 10 years.
Syed Ameruddin said once every fortnight he would request for a
report on the latest development on the abandoned projects from
officers of the relevant departments.
“The state hopes to expedite the revival of all these stalled
projects,” he said.
On the government’s plan to do away with the Certificate of Fitness
requirement for new buildings, Syed Ameruddin said Penang had to
study the proposal and weigh its advantages and disadvantages.
“I believe we need an independent body to monitor all housing
projects to ensure that there are no hiccups,” he said.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had said recently
that the government would rely on the declaration from
professionals like engineers and architects involved in a project to
certify the safety of a building and that it was built based on